Muhsin Ahmed and Andre Briones
Microscopes are useful in studying cell biology because it can magnify into an object that is underneath the scope and show its cells. The cell can then be examined by scientists and therefore it builds understandings of cells. The reason whit is i really helpful is because they can zoom in up to 1000 times bigger than the normal size.if it was the normal size we wouldn’t be able to examine it but this way we can.
Magnification calculation formula: Length of object=Length of magnified object/magnification
Magnification is the ability to make small objects seem lager and resolution is the ability to separate two objects from each other.
Advantages of light microscope:
- Simple to use
- Can view both alive and dead specimen
- The biggest advantage is that they have a higher resolution and therefore are also able of a higher magnification.
- Depending on the type of electron microscope, it is possible to view the three dimensional external shape of an object.
- In scanning electron microscopy, because to the nature of electrons, electron microscopes have a greater depth of field compared to the light microscopes
Disadvantages of light microscopes:
- Very expensive
- Sample preparation is often much more complex
- The sample must be completely dry, making it impossible to see
- Its impossible to see it moving
- Its impossible to see color
- The space needed is high
- To keep it maintained is expensive
Bacterial (prokaryotic) cells:
- Flagellum- enables many bacteria to swim
- Plasma Membrane-
- Cell Wall-
- Pili- –